Friday, September 12, 2014

Tate's Earth-Shattering First Week at Pre-K



Tate has turned 4(!) and started pre-k. His first week was pretty Earth-shattering. And by Earth-shattering I mean during circle time he took a decent-sized globe and chucked it across the classroom, where it made a loud noise and broke, the teacher tells me. Fortunately, no one was hurt. Immediately after, he was unapologetic and told her he did it on purpose. When the teacher filled me in on these antics I apologized profusely and asked where I could buy a replacement globe. The teacher said she'd had it forever and wasn't sure. Perhaps his motivation was outrage that her globe still depicted Germany as two countries and the USSR as one. (Although I didn't get close enough to the shards of the globe of shame  to see for sure.) 

And if there are ever any national secrets that need to be kept, I recommend telling a preschooler. His lips are sealed when it comes to giving me any tidbits about what he has done during the day. I scan his little body for signs. Some days I'm lucky and there are clues. Yellow paint under his fingernails...ooh, he painted today! But mostly he has 2.75 hours a day now that he doesn't have to share with me. And that's how it should be, right? He's becoming more independent. But I'm pathetic and have even started grilling his little preschool classmates to see what they can tell me happened that day (they also reveal nothing). And what he does tell me is almost never related to what he's learned.


Me: Hi, honey! What did you do in school today?
Tate: I had a bad gas.

Me: Um...did you say excuse me?

Me: Hi, honey, What did you do in school today?

Tate: (Mumble mumble) I had a cigarette. (Or as he calls it, a "snickerette.")
Me: !?!????????!!!!????

As near as I can tell they were out at recess and a smoker walked by and threw down a cigarette. As far as I know it was outside the perimeter of the playground and no one touched or smoked it, but only Tate and his tight-lipped little cronies know for sure.








No comments: